[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Wild Cheato and tank bred cheato

Wild Cheato and tank bred cheato

A forum to discuss the requirements and care of macroalgaes

Wild Cheato and tank bred cheato

Postby shalom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:59 am

Some time ago someone suggested that I put wild cheato together with our tank bred cheato from the wild.

The cheato came from Calatagan and is two weeks old, and still going. These are the visible differences:

1. Wild cheato is lighter
2. Less curly
3. Less dense (bulk mass)

One week later, the difference is less evident. Lighting is 24hrs, with a 20watt Akari bulb.

Wild and Tank bred cheato out of the water, day 1

Wild and Tank bred cheato in the setup, day 1

Wild and Tank bred cheato in the setup, day 7

The entire setup is in my new mangrove tray:

The cheato on the green tub is for the sea hare while he's waiting for transfer.

Its pretty early to say, but I guess the success is due to the right light and good handling. There doesn't seem to be any difference between the two kinds. I'm inviting all those who have succeeded in growing cheato in their setups to try the same experiment and confirm my results. PM me if you want to try. :wink:
shalom
reefphilippines member

Postby paulimjada » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Want to learn more about DSB?
http://www.reefphilippines.com/forums/v ... php?t=2255

60 g tank reef 20 g sump T5 2x24HO T8 2x20NO 75kg LR, 4-6" dsb (3++ old), mod Sanders Skimmer, Chaeto 2x9W coolwhite rev photo.

6.6 G nano
www.reefphilippines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2178
paulimjada
reefphilippines member

Postby jackryan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:22 pm

JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

Postby jackryan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:19 pm

Also, if you don't mind hope you can post more pics of your set-up...

jackryan

Postby shalom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:52 pm

shalom
reefphilippines member

Postby jackryan » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Shalom,

If you have extra I'd like to give it a shot (that is the chaeto from the wild variety)...

I got my chaeto from Randell and have so far given some of the harvest to some other members... I did get some wild collected small ball from Allan one time but I don't thint it did propagated or at least its now a part of the C. ball in my QT container right now.

-jackryan

jackryan

Postby shalom » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Oks. I really appreciate the interest, I really think this can work for all of us. :D

Any other takers?
shalom
reefphilippines member

Postby philaquarist » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Shalom,

Great work!

Suggest you spend a few more weeks, to fully "acclimatize" your wild-caught Chaeto to tank conditions.

Once you are confident, then I strongly support your idea to slowly distribute/propagate to other aquarists.

It's not just for the genetic diversity of our Chaeto pool (which is always good). It's also some form of insurance just in case our stock suddenly gets wiped out (knock on wood, but it can happen, since practically all the Chaeto in Reef Philippines came from a single original source, and may suddenly all fail).

And who knows, you may also discover in the future that there are some other (yet unknown) desirable traits in your wild-caught Chaeto.

Phil
marine aquarist since 1970

SYSTEM A: display reef tank (for zoanthids & corallimorphs)
90-gallon main tank with built-in refugium
35-gallon sump

SYSTEM B: display reef tank (for octocorallians)
90-gallon main tank
35-gallon sump
20-gallon remote deep sand bed

SYSTEM C: grow-out reef pond
330-gallon reef pond
50-gallon sump
25-gallon remote algal scrubber
25-gallon remote deep sand bed
45-gallon remote frag tank system
15-gallon refugium / pod tank
philaquarist
reefphilippines supporter

Postby paulimjada » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am

Want to learn more about DSB?
http://www.reefphilippines.com/forums/v ... php?t=2255

60 g tank reef 20 g sump T5 2x24HO T8 2x20NO 75kg LR, 4-6" dsb (3++ old), mod Sanders Skimmer, Chaeto 2x9W coolwhite rev photo.

6.6 G nano
www.reefphilippines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2178
paulimjada
reefphilippines member

Postby shalom » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:32 pm

shalom
reefphilippines member

Postby jolt26 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:42 pm

yes, that is possible. remember that tank-bred chaeto is just an acclimated wild-harvested chaeto :D

great set-up shalom! That is my concept of a set-up. less mechanical, more biological. you'll be hearing a lot from me when i set-up my new tank ha :lol:
Welcome to ReefPhilippines!

Hero of Rome

http://s1.gladiatus.ph/game/c.php?uid=18795
jolt26

Postby shalom » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:45 pm

shalom
reefphilippines member

Postby lombard0 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 pm

lombard0
reefphilippines member

Postby shalom » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:50 am

Guru natin yun, papagalitan ata ako... :?
shalom
reefphilippines member

Postby jolt26 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:07 pm

Welcome to ReefPhilippines!

Hero of Rome

http://s1.gladiatus.ph/game/c.php?uid=18795
jolt26

Next

Return to Macroalgae Forum