[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - 1 week, zero ammonia and nitrites

1 week, zero ammonia and nitrites

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

1 week, zero ammonia and nitrites

Postby roland_0313 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:20 am

Please help,

I'm confused right now... I checked my water parameters this morning and I'm reading zero in ammonia and nitrites for my FOWLR tank, though the trates is quite high at 80. Should I just wait for another 2-3 weeks without doing anything or should I put additional ammonia source (shrimp or fish food)?

Ngayon lang kasi ako nag-set ng saltwater tank eh. My tank's description is the following:

- 50 gallon tank
- 20 gallon sump
- 15 pieces of LR (13 in the DT, 2 in the sump)
- a thin layer of sand (1-inch lang)
- crushed corals in the sump
- protein skimmer with powerhead to create bubbles
- return pump
- powerhead in the DT for water movement and aeration

No lights yet because I decided I'll install lighting once the cycle is done. I'm just using natural lighting for now, and the lights in the room at night. Another thing, if I am to decide to add more sand, will the tank go through another cycle?

Thank you and I hope somebody helps me with this... ayoko kasi magkamali at biglang mamatayan lang ng LS at malamang iyakan ng anak ko yun.
50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
Reef Octopus NWB 110SSS skimmer
DIY light fixture (32 pc 3W bulbs)
DIY Denitrator
Purigen
Refugium
roland_0313
reefphilippines member

Re: 1 week, zero ammonia and nitrites

Postby mindfreak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:40 am

"During the cycling process, ammonia levels will go up and then suddenly plummet as the nitrite-forming bacteria take hold. Because nitrate-forming bacteria don't even begin to appear until nitrite is present in significant quantities, nitrite levels skyrocket (as the built-up ammonia is converted), continuing to rise as the continually-produced ammonia is converted to nitrite. Once the nitrate-forming bacteria take hold, nitrite levels fall, nitrate levels rise, and the tank is fully cycled." (calling Marty, tama ba pagka explain? :) )

If you are still reading high level of nitrites then you should continue it until reading drops to almost untraceable na. On your sand concern, mas maganda kung isabay mo na cya ngayon habang nasa cycle period ka pa lang. Once stable na ung tank mo and you introduce another element (like major amount of sand) it will cause imbalance that will lead to problems like excess algae and other things.
Last edited by mindfreak on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
With Gratitude,

- Everything is relative in this hobby.
What works for me may not work for you.
mindfreak
reefphilippines member

Postby roland_0313 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
DIY Denitrator
Purigen
Refugium
roland_0313
reefphilippines member

Postby mindfreak » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 am

if later part ka pa mag add ng sand. just do it gradually para hindi mashock ung tank mo. maybe 1 cup every other day. in two weeks time mapupuno mo na din ung floor space ng tank mo. basta wag mo lang biglang ibubuhos ung isang sako na sand.hahaha... :D
With Gratitude,

- Everything is relative in this hobby.
What works for me may not work for you.
mindfreak
reefphilippines member

Postby roland_0313 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:16 am

50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
DIY Denitrator