[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Basic Needs to have FOWLR aquarium

Basic Needs to have FOWLR aquarium

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Basic Needs to have FOWLR aquarium

Postby gat3keeper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:54 am

Hi Guys,

I'd like to see your advice in starting FOWLR aquarium (from scratch). Assuming I have normal 50 or 75 gallon tank.

I have few things questions in mind though:

1. Would a normal fresh water powerhead / bio filter is good enough?
2. How important is the protein skimmer?
3. I don't have a sump, will a powerhead work ?
4. Where to buy near pasig ?
gat3keeper
reefphilippines member

Re: Basic Needs to have FOWLR aquarium

Postby iamchristian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am

I'm no pro but I think I can answer some of your queries
1. If by freshwater powerhead, you mean those in the typical overhead filtration setups for fw then yes. They can support marine fishes but in my opinion, they arent good enough. I suggest you get a sump since that'll add a bit more volume to your system. More water, less likely to have problems with some parameters since more volume will mean toxic substances diffuse slowly.
2. Protein skimmers are quite essential especially if you are into a fowlr or reef. They get rid of organics that build up overtime in the tank. You really need this trust me if you are planning to have a fowlr and fill it with fishes with huge appetites and are poop machines
3. If powerhead you mean like in the first question? Like what I said yes it can work but you can only put a very limited number of fishes since the overhead filter box cannot hold that much bio media.
4. The only shop I know near pasig is that of sir peter (aquariatech) but I think he sells only equipment, not livestocks.
You can try contacting some of the members if you're gonna look for livestocks like grahf, jourdy, aquareef. You can also try tropical brew in QC
iamchristian
reefphilippines member

Postby gat3keeper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks Christian for the prompt reply.

Is there a sump that do not need to drill a hole on the aquarium?

Any DIY link feasible for noobs?
gat3keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby gat3keeper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:32 am

Where can I buy top quality Live rocks and fishes?
gat3keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby gat3keeper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 am

Possible po ba yung reef + fish setup ? (I mean.. like 20-30 fishes and live reef in 75 gals)
gat3keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:43 am

thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby