Sump with two pumps Query

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Sump with two pumps Query

Postby meekosbc » Thu May 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi, I started my small reef just last week. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a sump setup, without drilling holes, just attach a pump going to the sump and another going back to the reef.

Do you think this is possible and have the same effect as that with drilling a hole for the outgoing water to the sump?

Thanks guys!
meekosbc
reefphilippines member

Re: Sump with two pumps Query

Postby znerenz » Thu May 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Yes, it's possible. Here's what I use - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFk4bnIxEg

The problem usually is the siphon breaking but so far I haven't encountered it with this setup. Good luck and welcome to RP :mrgreen:

Edit: As to having 2 pumps, i.e. one for moving the water from DT to sump and the other from sump to DT is a very very bad idea. One return pump moving water from sump back to DT is enough, this will create an overflow in your DT which will be your water movement from DT to sump. Handling the overflow is done via drill holes in the DT or via a siphon overflow (link above)
znerenz
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Thu May 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Znerenz is correct. You dont need two pumps, and you dont necessarily have to drill he tank to have an overflow. However, in my opinion, drilling holes for your overflow looks much neater compared to overflow setups without holes. Hth.
The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know.
yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Technically yes, if you can make both pumps move the same amount of water 100% of the time. But, this is impossible even if you use the same pump model.
100g 72x18x18 DT / 50g Sump
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
Jebao DC-12000 return pump
1x Jebao WP25, 1x Jebao WP40
84x 3W LED DIY
GFO and Biopellet TLF Reactors
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby meekosbc » Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 pm

THanks guys! very informative yung video. I'll try to make one over the weekend. by the way, can you get the checkvalve in a regular hardware store?

THanks!
meekosbc
reefphilippines member

Postby znerenz » Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Yep, you can use those. Just bear in mind that check valves are not very durable or reliable for that matter, so you may need to check it from time to time :wink:
znerenz
reefphilippines member

Postby bruppy » Sat May 10, 2014 11:39 am

sakin hindi ako nag drill ng hole or nag lagay ng check valve.. what i did is tinakpan ko tung pipe sa ilalim then sucked on the longest pipe para mag siphon haha
bruppy
reefphilippines member

Postby symphiii@gmail.com » Sat May 10, 2014 11:45 am

nung bago ako nag try din ako ng pump to pump same specs, and also tried one na mas malakas and isa mas mahina pero no good nag baha lang sa bahay :roll:

tinry ko naman yung DIY pvc na overflow masyadong mahina eh ewan ko baka palpak gawa ko since I'm not into DIY talaga eh saka pag nag brown out di ka sure eh baka mawala siphon nakakatakot. so pina drill ko nalang less hassle 350php lang kay mang ramon wala ka ng gagawin wala ka ng iisipin pa :lol:
symphiii@gmail.com
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby