Need help.

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Need help.

Postby Jocaranz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi, im new to reef tanks but as for as long as i can remember i always wanted to have one. I have been a freshwater guy for 18 years.

I reaaly want one now. A 75 gallon will do. Problem is i dont know how make a sump and also i dont know how to do the plumbing. Im not a DIY guy. So is there any shop or place you that sells sump setup with hoses and pipes that i can just connect/attach to a tank?

If something like that is not really available any suggestions on how to easily learn how to make one.

This is the biggeat hindrance in my move towards marine aquarium.
Jocaranz
reefphilippines member

Re: Need help.

Postby Kappaquariums » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 pm

If you can't do the plumbing(PVC), then I recommend learning how to do it :lol: . NEVER NEVER not use PVC in plumbing, because other types of plumbing materials are just way to risky because of leakage :o . I recommend watching brstv(now bulkreefsupplycom), mr. saltwater tank tv, or King of DIY videos to learn plumbing. For the sump, you can basically buy an aquarium, fill it up with EITHER.
1) rock(If you can find Marine Pure or some biofilter media that can reduce Nitrate, that would be better (make sure to run something to reduce phosphate though :lol: ))
2) a protein skimmer + media(biopellet preferably) reactor(optional).
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Postby Kappaquariums » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 pm

And remember, the size is always as BIG as you can make it(and maintain) :D
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Postby Jocaranz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Kappa. Ill try to learn it. Plumbing and drilling holes.

Is it possible to be succesful in reef keeping even if the tank is not placed in an AC room? Is chiller/fan a must in philippine setting?
Jocaranz
reefphilippines member

Postby Kappaquariums » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Just make sure that it's not an insulated room with insufficient air flow(to get temp as near as outside temperature as close as possible). FEV Marine does sell cooling fans that you can put on your tank(if you don't mind the space they'll take but I prefer them over noisy chillers :cry:) Make sure you have a heater though :lol:
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Postby Jocaranz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Whats the geater for sir? It usually is 30 degrees in the philippines. Pag may bagyo siguro bumababa sa 27 but not enough to go down to 25 degrees room temp of other countries. So bale pangontra lang sa fan or chiller yung heater?
Jocaranz
reefphilippines member

Postby Kappaquariums » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:07 am

Both the fan and cooling through evaporation will reduce the temperature a bit. You'll need the heater to make the temperature stable which is more important than keeping the temperature at optimum levels(as long as it's not too high / low imo).
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Postby Jocaranz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:10 am

Thank you for all that info man. Very helpful in planning this switch to saltwater.
Jocaranz
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby