[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Newby here... please help...

Newby here... please help...

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Newby here... please help...

Postby rorics » Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 am

Hi everyone... newby here... :lol: been a lurker here for almost 3 months, started my planted freshwater tank last Feb (20 G), and now trying my luck on saltwater (10 G). I started to put up my FOWLS saltwater last month without a sump or skimmer with canister filter, NSW, and LS 1 blue fin damsel, its on its 6th week now. Bubbles (damsel) survived the cycling... decided to add new LS yesterday - 1 hermit crab, 1 N snail, 1 chocolate starfish, and 5 fishes (4 damsels and 1 nemo) - guess this is too much for a 10G huh... fishes are 1 inch except for nemo - and planning to get a bigger tank in the future... also added a resun skimmer - :roll: problem - water is cloudy with lots of pods (white termite-like insect) and white dandelion seed like thingie- dont know what it is , and sand is turning brown -- is it too much bacteria? :?:
rorics
reefphilippines member

Re: Newby here... please help...

Postby thurrmac » Fri May 27, 2011 11:10 am

thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Fri May 27, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks for the reply thurrmac... btw girl po ako :oops: ... fish seems to be eating the pods... and the hermit crab is running all over the place eating those brown stuff... feeding them flakes,pellets once or twice a day, and occationally shrimp &tahong paste maybe once or twice per week, ok na po ba tong combination na to? My set up has 10W energy saving daylight bulbs - sabi ng brod ko around 70W daw to - not really sure- and 10 W blue bulb for night mode. Do i need to add additional lighting for my curent LS? No plan of adding more LS until I get a bigger tank... Sumpless po ako for now...

planning to get a bigger tank maybe 50 to 100 g kapag lumaki na LS ko and use this 10g as a sump...

Thanks po uli :P
rorics
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:45 am

Last edited by rolandgelo on Fri May 27, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

50G shallow nano-(retired)

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 am

Sorry ma'am pala :oops: :lol:

if you don't plan on adding corals IMO your current lighting is sufficient, yep don't add any more LS and have the others adopted by someone with a mature and bigger tank..HTH :D

50G shallow nano-(retired)

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Fri May 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks po sa reply rolandgelo... :lol: naku wala po ako kakilala na nag saltwater within makati na pwede mag adopt ng fish ko... hmmm... I guess I should get a bigger tank then... :?
rorics
reefphilippines member

Postby juns98 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 pm

RORICS:

Damsels will survive the bioload of your 10g tank. But, your clownfish and starfish will have a problem since your tank will definitely have an ammonia spike.

Do frequent water changes.At lease weekly. Dont use NSW from Cartimar. Use saltmix +RODI water.
Also, reduce your feeding.
juns98
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Fri May 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Thank you po juns98 :P I'm doing water change since 5 week, once a week, 10-20% so this week will be the 2nd time that I will do another water change, schedule this on Saturday - with RO and salt mix blue bag from cartimar - is this okay?

Here's my set up:

10G
2 inches live sand with live rocks and corals
skimmer - resun sk05
Canister filter
submersible pump for waves
10 W energy saving daylight - 70W with 10 w blue bulb for night
Temp - :cry: 28 to 30
No test kit - :oops:
NSW - cycling - blue salt mix for water change with RO

I guess Nemo and star will not survice then... :cry:
rorics
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Fri May 27, 2011 12:37 pm

i mean I have dead corals in my tank.... no plan of adding live coral for now...
rorics
reefphilippines member

Postby juns98 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm

RORICS:

You can use the saltmix at Bioresearch.You dont have corals naman.
Ive been using it for 3 years na.OK naman.
Dont use the bluebag saltmix from Carti.

Since your doing weekly water change, your system might be able to adjust to increase in bioload.
juns98
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 pm

Thank you po mga bossing... marami ako natutunan... :D will buy the salt mix at bioreserch today :P ... next time na pumunta ako ng cartimar will buy those test kit... na sales talk po kc ako ni nanay dun sa cartimar para bilhin si nemo, si star, at yung ibang fish... was planning on buying a skimmer, clean up crew lang sana and a friend for bubbles. Salamat po uli... :mrgreen:
rorics
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 am

:cry: My red hairy hermit crab took care of my LS problem... He seems to like all my damsel fish and ate them one by one... I thought hermit crab would only eat dead fish so I didn't took him out of the tank last Saturday when I saw 2 dead damsel (yellow tail and yellow damsel) with crabbie happily muching on them, thought they die due to the temp of my tank (30°C), so we transferred the tank to a new location. ... water quality seems okay...it is much clearer now after running the skimmer for 20 hours... Then on Sunday I found another 1 (stripe) dead fish with bubbles (blue fin damsel) wounded and fin nipped. :( Nemo and star seems to be doing okay... nemo is always hunrgy and feed on the pellets while star seems to be contented feeding on the pods or the white stuff on my glass...gave star some tahong flesh but it wont eat it, crabbie took care of the tahong flesh...crabbie is now transferred on his own fish bowl... LS remaining: Nemo, bubbles, and star. Cannot seem to find my N snail.... dont know if crabbie took care of that one too... :cry:
rorics
reefphilippines member

Postby pepperghost » Mon May 30, 2011 8:41 am

usually scavengers are accused of killing LS... truth here is that the sudden adding of LS in such a small tank killed them and that your hermit crab just ate the dead ones coz its his job to do that... sorry to hear of your loss... it will happen again if you do this again... lalo na you have a nano tank and nano tanks arent for beginners.... me, i have a 75 gallon tank... and if i try to make a 10g DT to work.. i guess i would fail... its that hard...
75 Gallons
DSB, ATS, Mangrove
Buying Chaeto PM me if you have some to spare! need it badly! and urgent...
pepperghost
reefphilippines member

Postby rorics » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 am

hello pepperghost.... thanks for your reply... I also thought that crabbie is just a scavenger that's why I didn't remove it first when I saw the dead fishes, but when I saw the wounds on bubbles' tail (I had this damsel for almost a month now and I know that it doesn't have any fin nipped or wounds), same with yellow damsel and stripe who had the same wound marks, there is no doubt that crabbie did it. I guess crabbie just injured the fishes with its pincher, but will not munch on them until they are dead. Bubbles is recovering now...
rorics
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to New to the hobby